A hardware store, a candy kitchen, then us.
There has been a restaurant in this room since 1930, and the plaque by the front door goes back further than that. The name above the window has changed hands more than once. The room has not moved.
“The Place To Meet”
On the sign, on the wall, and on the window.
- 1860The building goes up, put up by the Kahmann family.
- 1869Henry J. Dickbrader opens a hardware store in it, and runs it until 1920.
- 1922The Olympia Candy Kitchen takes the room.
- 1930Pete and Claire Mealer buy the building and it becomes Mealer's Restaurant.
- 1972The Mealers sell to Ida Mae Schultz and it becomes Elm's Cafe.
- 1973John Cowan takes it on and it becomes Cowan's Cafe. The name has stuck ever since.
- 1977Oma and Jerry Gildehaus buy Cowan's.
- 2009Tom and Rachel Gildehaus buy Cowan's, and it is theirs to this day.












